FAQ By Product
There are many ways you can contact us. For all written messages, we usually respond within 24 hours.
(1) You can send an email to [email protected]
(2) You can leave feedback in the app at Home Screen -> Menu (top left corner) -> Feedback.
(3) You can live chat with us on www.bosmasmarthome.com. Availability: 9:30am to 5:30pm Pacific Time, Monday to Friday. If we missed your chat for some reason, please send us an email instead.
(4) You can call us at 1 (800) 976-0881. Availability: 9:30am to 5:30pm Pacific Time, Monday to Friday
(5) You can use the contact form at www.bosmasmarthome.com/contact.
(1) We regularly post important updates, new features, and exclusive deals to all of our users in the Announcement page at Home Screen -> Menu (top left corner) -> Announcements.
(2) You can also subscribe to our newsletter at www.bosmasmarthome.com (at the bottom of the page). We typically send offers and new product announcements through the newsletter.
Home Screen -> Menu (top left corner) -> About -> Release Notes
Home Screen -> Menu (top left corner) -> Store
No. All basic device features are free after purchase. We do have an optional subscription service called Bosma Assist that offers certain advanced features such as cloud storage and package detection, but it’s not required.
Account & Login
- Make sure you have entered the correct email address
- The email should come from [email protected], please check if it is in your spam/junk folder
- If it’s not in the spam/junk folder, try resending the email on the app
- If still not found, please contact our customer support and provide the email address you wish to register with.
For security reasons, we only allow one account to be actively logged in on one device at any time. When an account logs in on a new phone, it will be automatically logged off on the original phone, and you’ll receive a notification on your original phone.
If you want to use the app on multiple phones, you can create separate accounts and share product access with these new accounts via Family Management.
Home Screen -> Menu (top left corner) -> Tap your username at the top
Please make sure you select the country where your devices are located. Your devices will connect to the local servers in the country you selected, so if you selected a different country than where your devices are, you may experience unstable connection, lagging, or firmware update failures.
On the Bosma app’s login screen, tap the “Forgot Password” link, and enter your Bosma account email on the next page. You will receive an email with a verification code. Enter the verification code and your new password on the next page, and tap “Submit” to reset your password.
No. Currently you may only reset your account password in the app. We will enable changing your password on the website in the future.
You can find all devices under Home Screen -> Devices List. Note that if you have an active Family, the list will only show devices under that Family by default. To view all devices under your account, tap the Family name at the bottom of the page and select “My Devices”.
You can add as many devices as you want to your Bosma account. However, your router and internet service may not be able to support too many devices. Live streaming and connectivity may be affected if too many devices are added to the same router. Generally, it is recommended that you have fewer than 8 devices under the same router.
No. We currently only support Android and iOS apps. We also currently do not officially support Android tablets, though you can download the app and install it on Android tablets to use.
It is recommended that no more than 3 phones are watching live view at the same time, or live view performance may be affected. Note that an account can be logged in on one phone at any time, but you can share access with other accounts.
Yes. You will need to reset your Bosma device and use another account to set it up again. For instructions on how to reset the device, refer to How do I reset my Bosma device
If you created a new Family after you have set up some devices under your account, the devices won’t be automatically added to the Family and you would need to manually add them to the Family. After that, you should see the devices on the home page.
If your camera has a physical defect (e.g. reset button broken, camera does not turn, indicator light not working), please contact customer support. If the defect is not caused by misuse and the product warranty has not expired, we will arrange for a replacement.
Bosma devices can support a micro SD card up to 128GB
(1) Home Screen -> Device List -> tap the ⚙️ button at the top right corner of a device.
(2) Home Screen -> Tap on a device to enter Live View or Device Home Page -> Tap the ⚙️ button at the top right corner
(1) If a new firmware version is available, you’ll be redirected to a batch update page when you open the app. Tap “Batch Update” or the “Update” button on each device to start firmware update. Please stay on the page and wait for 2-3 minute for each update to complete. When updates are done, you’ll get a success popup message.
(2) You can also update the firmware of each device in Device Settings -> Firmware Update.
(3) You can also enable automatic firmware update in Device Settings -> Firmware Update. Automatic updates will happen between 2:00 am and 3:00 am when a new firmware is available. The device will not perform auto-update if an event is triggered during the time.
(4) On some devices, you can also manually update the firmware with a micro SD card.
(1) First make sure the device has a stable connection to WiFi and is powered on.
(2) Try updating the firmware again in Device Settings -> Firmware Update.
(4) Try manually updating the firmware
(5) If the issue persists, please contact our customer support
In Device Settings, tap the edit button to the right of the device’s name at the top of the page, type the new name for the device, and tap “Save” at the top right corner.
In Device Settings, select “Color Night Vision”, and toggle on “Enable Color Night Vision”
By default, Color Night Vision is disabled, so you would need to turn on Color Night Vision. Note that Color Night Vision requires a small amount of environmental lighting, so if the camera’s surrounding is completely dark, it’s recommended to turn off Color Night Vision
By default, Sound Detection is disabled. You can enable it in Device Settings -> Event & Notification -> Toggle on “Sound”
By default, video recording is event based, i.e. it only records when an event is detected. You can turn on Continuous Recording in Device Settings -> Event & Notification -> Select “Always” under “Recording Mode”. Note that Continuous Recording significantly increases storage usage. You can also disable video recording by selecting “Never” under “Recording Mode”.
(1) You can turn off your camera in Device Settings -> Camera ON/OFF -> Toggle off “Camera ON”.
(2) You can use Security Modes to quick toggle multiple cameras at the same time.
Note that if the camera is turned off, no video will be recorded and you will not be able to watch the live view from the camera on your phone.
Go to Device Settings -> SD Card. If the SD card is recognized, you should see a pie chart of its available and used storage space, and you should also see a “Format SD Card” option at the bottom.
If your SD card is not recognized, the page will show a “No SD Card” text. Please check whether you have correctly mounted the SD card on the device. Note that Bosma devices support a micro SD card up to 128GB, and it must be formatted in FAT32 (you can use your computer to format the SD card in FAT32 format)
If your SD card is still not recognized, please try another SD card if available, or contact customer support
There are a few options you can manage to reduce the number of notifications. In Device Settings, select “Event & Notification”, then:
- Toggle off the event types you’re not interested in, e.g. you can turn off Sound detection.
- Increase minimum notification interval. By default, the minimum notification interval is 3 minutes. You can change it under “Interval” at the bottom of the page
- Decrease sensitivity. By default, sensitivity level is medium. You can change it under “Sensitivity” at the bottom of the page
- You can choose to disable notifications from this device by toggling off “Push Notification”. Note that video recordings are not affected by this setting (i.e. you can still see events and play recordings in Event History)
Alternatively, you can use Security Modes to quickly change notification settings for multiple devices.
If both the current and next WiFi hotspots have internet access and can be detected by the device, you can go to Device Settings -> Wi-Fi Settings to choose the next WiFi hotspot.
First, please check whether you can see past events in Event History.
If you do see Event History entries, then:
(1) Check whether the Bosma app has notification permission on your phone.
(2) Check whether notification for the device is enabled. You can go to Device Settings -> Event & Notifications, and see if the “Push Notification” option at the bottom is enabled.
(3) Check your current Security Mode. Certain Security Modes may disable notifications, e.g. “Home” and “Disarmed” mode both disable notifications by default.
If you don’t see Event History entries, then:
(1) Check whether your camera’s Recording Mode is set to “Never”
(2) Check whether your camera has an active Recording Schedule in Device Settings -> Recording Schedule. If a Recording Schedule is active, the camera does not record events outside of the scheduled period.
If all settings are correct and you still don’t receive notifications, please contact customer support
Video & Recording
No. Video recordings are still stored in the micro SD card.
Bosma Sentry Video Doorbell:
On the Bosma app, go to Event History and play the recording you want to download. On the playback page, there should be a download button at the top right corner of the screen. Tap that button and the recording will be downloaded to your phone.
All Bosma Security Cameras and Video Doorbells:
Remove the SD card from your device, then use a micro SD card reader to read the SD card on your computer. You should find all recordings in the SD card grouped by date.
Yes. The recordings are stored in standard mp4 format. You can download the recordings to your phone/computer and play them with most video players (e.g. VLC Player)
When the SD card is full, the oldest video recordings will be automatically deleted.
Yes. The camera will keep recording videos. Once internet connection is restored, you can view recordings on the app. However, you may not receive notifications from the device while internet connection is lost.
The app does not support deleting a single video recording from the SD card, but you can:
(1) Format the SD card from the app to delete ALL videos
(2) Read the SD card on your computer (you may need an SD card reader) and delete selected videos
You can also delete Event History entries, but it does not delete the associated video recording from the SD card
On the camera’s Live View, tap the resolution button located at the top right corner of the video screen, and select your desired resolution. If you select “Auto”, the app will choose the optimal resolution based on your network condition.
Events are under Home Screen -> Event History. Note that if you have an active Family, the list will only show devices under that Family by default. To view all events from devices under your account, tap the Family name at the bottom of the page and select “My Events”
Event History entries and their snapshots are available for up to 15 days. However, if you have a local storage, the corresponding video recordings are not deleted (unless storage is full, in which case the oldest recordings are automatically deleted).
In Event History, tap the calendar button at the top right corner and select desired time/device/type, then tap the “Save” button at the top right corner
In Event History, tap the edit button at the top right corner and select the events you want to delete (or tap “select all” at the bottom left corner to select all currently visible events). Once selection is done, tap “Delete” at the bottom right corner” to delete them.
If your camera does not have an SD card, you would still see all events in Event History. If you tap on the thumbnail, you would see a snapshot image. If you tap anywhere else, the app will try to load the video recording, but it would say it’s not found since you don’t have an SD card inserted.
We introduced the Family Management feature for two main purposes: device sharing and security modes. You can create a Family and invite your family members, housemates, and anyone you’d like to share device access with, or you can request to join an existing Family. Note that because Family members have access to your devices, please only invite people you trust into your Family. We have a video tutorial of the Family Management feature here.
Go to Home Screen -> Menu (top left corner) -> Family Management. Tap the “+” button at the top right corner to create a new Family
Go to Home Screen -> Menu (top left corner) -> Family Management -> Select a family. Under the “Members” section, tap the “invite” button on the right side and enter their Bosma account email address (note that they must have first registered for a Bosma account with that email address in the same region as you). They will receive an invitation email, and when they accept the invitation by clicking the invitation link in the email, they’re successfully added to your Family.
Go to Home Screen -> Menu (top left corner) -> Family Management -> Select a family. Under the “Members” section, swipe left on the member you want to remove, and tap “Delete”. Note that a member may not remove the Administrator (creator) of the Family.
Family members can invite more people into the Family or remove Family members (except the Administrator/creator). They can also add their own devices to the Family or remove devices from the Family.
In general, Family members have extensive control and access over your Family configuration and all devices in your Family. As such, please only invite people you trust into your Family.
Go to Home Screen -> Menu (top left corner) -> Family Management -> Select a family. Under the “Devices” section, tap the “add” button on the right side and choose the devices you want to add to the Family from the list, and tap “Save” on the top right corner.
Go to Home Screen -> Menu (top left corner) -> Family Management -> Select a family. Under the “Devices” section, swipe left on the device you want to remove, and tap “Delete”
Devices added to the Family are automatically shared with all Family members. To invite Family members, refer to this question.
Device sharing using the Share feature is being deprecated. We will disable this feature shortly (most likely before 2021). If you have previously shared device access with this feature. We recommend that you delete the sharing and instead add the shared devices and people you’re sharing with to your Family. We will also send a few reminders to you before we officially disable this feature.
Security Mode is a feature under Family Management. It is a fast and simple way to update devices settings of multiple devices at the same time. Each mode corresponds to a common scenario. The default settings are:
- Away: Turn on all cameras and enable motion detection on all cameras. This is recommended when you’re leaving home
- Disarmed: Turn on all cameras and disable motion detection on all cameras. This is recommended when you want to be free from notifications
- Home: Turn off all cameras and disable motion detection and sound detection on all cameras. This is recommended when you’re returning home. Also, this mode is customizable. To customize, Go to Home Screen -> Menu (top left corner) -> Family Management -> Select a family -> Tap “Home” under “Security Mode” at the bottom.
Make sure you are currently in a Family. On the Home Screen, you should see 3 buttons under “Security Mode”. Tap each button to switch to that mode.
Currently only the “Home” mode is customizable. To customize, Go to Home Screen -> Menu (top left corner) -> Family Management -> Select a family -> Tap “Home” under “Security Mode” at the bottom. We will allow adding custom modes shortly.
Home page -> Bosma Assist -> My Subscriptions -> Select a subscription -> Tap “Edit” on the “Active Devices” section -> Select device you want to add -> Tap “Confirm”
Bosma Assist is a subscription service for advanced features on some of our products. It includes cloud storage, package detection, facial recognition, and more.
You can learn more about Bosma Assist’s features here. We are always improving our products and services, so expect more features to come to Bosma Assist.
The price ranges from $1.99/month for the most basic configuration (7-day cloud storage) to $6.99/month for the Pro configuration (all features). We also offer discounts for yearly subscriptions. Learn more about pricing and configuration details on this page.
Yes. We currently offer a 6-month free trial for Bosma Assist Pro.
Each Bosma Assist subscription can support up to 3 devices.
Privacy & Legal
We do not store your card information. Instead, your card details are securely saved on Stripe, and we only use a token to charge your card.
They cannot see your event history. They also cannot see your video recordings, unless the micro SD card on the camera was not removed. It is advised that you format or remove the SD card before giving the device to someone else.
Can’t find an answer to your question?
Submit your question below and we will answer it and add it to the FAQ!