The most common cause of frequent disconnection and/or shutting down of the Sentry video doorbell is insufficient power. Sentry doorbell requires a 8-24V AC transformer without a chime, and it’s recommended to use a 16-24V AC transformer when a chime is present. The transformer should have at least 30VA (volt-amps) of power, and the higher the better (e.g. 40VA).
Common symptoms of insufficient power include:
- Device frequently restarts
- Cannot watch live view
- IR (black-and-white) night vision flickers
- Device shut down and won’t power up again
- Device shuts down when doorbell button is pressed
- Chime does not ring when doorbell button is pressed (assuming that the “Doorbell Chime” option is enabled)
If you encountered one of these symptoms, please check the voltage and power of your doorbell transformer. If you have a multimeter, you can measure the voltage on the Sentry Video Doorbell to make sure it’s at least 8V. Try upgrading your transformer if the voltage or power is lower than the requirement.
Additionally, you can also check that there is a stable Wi-Fi coverage at the Sentry’s location. A weak Wi-Fi signal can also cause the Sentry doorbell to sometimes drop connection.