Auto Unlock is one of the most popular and convenient features of the Aegis Door Lock. As you return home from far away (more than 600ft/200m) with your phone on you, Auto Unlock would try to unlock the door automatically when you walk up to the door (about 20ft/6m).
Auto Unlock requires that your phone to have enabled Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and Location, and disabled Battery Optimization if on Android. Please follow the steps below to configure and enable Auto Unlock.
- Auto Unlock is an app-based feature. Please have your phone on you when you return home for Auto Unlock to work.
- Auto Unlock requires your phone to have enabled Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and Location, and disabled Battery Optimization if on Android.
- Auto Unlock becomes active when you have travelled far enough away from home (about 600ft/180m). Then, when you return to within 200ft/60m of your home, Auto Unlock starts actively searching for your Aegis via Bluetooth. When you get close enough to the door (about 20ft/6m), your door will be automatically unlocked.
We understand that security is the primary concern for a door lock, that’s why we have made sure that Auto Unlock is safe to use:
- When you’re at home, Auto Unlock stays inactive and will not attempt to unlock the door. It only becomes active if you’re more than 600ft/180m away from home.
- When you’re returning home, Auto Unlock would only be able to unlock the door when you’re in Bluetooth range of your door, which is very short (about 20ft/6m).
1. Enter Aegis Home Page
On the Bosma App homepage, tap on your Aegis to enter Aegis’s home page.
Note: Please make sure that you have already set up Aegis on your account
Note: Aegis does NOT necessarily need to be online for Auto Unlock to work.
2. Enter Aegis Settings
Tap the Gear ⚙️ icon at the top right corner to enter Aegis settings.
Note: Please make sure that your Aegis has been calibrated (i.e. you can see open/closed & locked/unlocked status on this page). You can refer to this video tutorial on how to calibrate Aegis.
Note: Auto Unlock is an app-based feature, i.e. you can enable Auto Unlock anywhere, even if your phone is not currently connected to Aegis.
3. Enter Auto Unlock settings
In Aegis settings, tap “Auto-Unlock” to enter Auto Unlock settings
4. Grant Necessary Permissions
Auto Unlock requires certain phone permissions to function properly:
- Bluetooth: Your phone uses Bluetooth to unlock Aegis. Please keep your phone’s Bluetooth always on.
- Location: Your phone uses location to determine whether you have left home or are returning home. Please make sure Bosma’s Location permission is set to “Always”. Your location data is used solely for the Auto Unlock feature.
- Battery Optimization (Android Only): Battery Optimization must be turned off for Bosma so the app can run in the background without interruption. See this FAQ if you’re having trouble disabling Battery Optimization.
5. Check All Permissions Are Granted
Once all permissions are granted (all toggles are on), tap “Next” to proceed.
6. Set Home Location
Your home location should be automatically set to your phone’s current location. If your home location is incorrect, tap the “Home Location” bar to change your home location.
After verifying your home location, toggle on “Auto Unlock” to enable it.
Note: Your home location does NOT need to be very accurate. Dropping the pin within a 100ft (30m) radius of your home would be sufficient.
7. Verify That Auto Unlock Is Enabled
After Auto Unlock is enabled, you should see a notification that says “Auto-unlock service is running in the background”, indicating that Auto Unlock is enabled.
Note: On Android, this notification cannot be dismissed. This is to keep Auto Unlock service running in the background without interruption.
Note: Auto Unlock is an app-based feature. Please have your phone with you when you return home for Auto Unlock to work.